Are you a CHRISTIAN...I mean a real CHRISTian, truly "born again?" Or are you only a believer and/or church-goer?
Well, first of all...you need to realize old Satan is a believer. He not only believes; he knows Jesus is real and alive. And the Devil can defeat you and me, but he cannot successfully do battle with Jesus the Christ. And he knows that, too.
"But I go to church all of the time," you might say.
Good. But please kindly know this. I can get dressed up like an automobile, go sit in my garage, make noises like an automobile 'til doomsday, and I will never be a car!
And so it is with churchgoers who are not real CHRISTians.
Who is a real CHRISTian?
If you are a real CHRISTian, you have honestly confessed your sins to God in Jesus' name...humbly, regretfully and even remorsefully asked Him to forgive you for all of your sins...He has...you have truly repented, turning away from your sin and your fellow sinners, lest you be tempted to sin again...you "go your way and sin no more" as Jesus told the woman of ill repute at the well...and you steadfastly adhere to our CHRISTian Contract with God, really becoming "a new creature in Christ Jesus," a little "CHRIST", a very dedicated and disciplined follower of Jesus, His teachings and the leadership of His Holy Spirit.
Jesus lives through you and your work for Him on this pitiful planet we call Earth!
And just exactly what is our CHRISTian Contract with God?
Ephesians 2:8, 9 & 10 - "For by grace are we saved through faith; and that not of ourselves; it is the gift of God: not of works, lest anyone boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before pre-ordained that we should walk in them."
That means DO good works!
The price of our salvation has already been paid by our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ, shedding His mortal life's blood on that cruel cross at Calvary atop Golgotha's lonely Hill. He has eternally redeemed us...IF we truly accept Him and become "His workmanship"...dedicated, disciplined followers of Jesus, His teachings and His Holy Spirit...including strict obedience to every one of God's Ten Commandments.
Our salvation is FREE! But once we have our "free ticket" to heaven...what Jesus called "paradise" when He forgave the thief on the cross next to Him...we must turn away from sin and sinners...and get busy, living a righteous life, and working for Him and His coming Kingdom!
We cannot personally purchase or earn our salvation by working, but we must get to work for Him...becoming "His workmanship"...once we are saved by God's great grace!
Jesus warned, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only those who do the will of my Father who is in heaven."
So are you a real CHRISTian? Are you a true DISCIPLE of our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ, literally obeying God's Ten Commandments and Jesus' Teaching , yielding yourself completely to the leadership and guidance of His Holy Spirit?
Jesus did not come to change the Law; He came to fulfill it!
Let's take a little 10 point test.
"1. Thou shall have no other Gods before me. (That means nothing...no thing...comes before God.)
2. Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath or that is in the water under the earth. (I know some churches which have historically and continue today to violate that one.)
3. Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold us guiltless if we take His name in vain. (That means more than not cursing. I have heard Deacons use God's name in vain when they were praying...because they were known sinners during the week who did not really mean one word they were saying on Sunday. That is also using our Lord's name in vain.)
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord your God. (Every Sunday...just notice what is actually going on around you.)
5. Honor your father and your mother: that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God has given you. (You can obey your parents...and still dishonor them by doing something offensive and/or sinful that they do not know about. But keep in mind...God knows.)
6. You shall not kill. (Or want to.)
7. You shall not commit adultery. (Just think about how many people you know who are doing or have done that.)
8. You shall not steal. (That means anything, including simple office supplies.)
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. (That means you must not lie about or to anyone.)
10. You shall not covet...anything..." (That literally means you are not to want anything or anyone that belongs to someone else.)
You might say, "I have only broken one of those Commandments," thinking, "That's 90%. I pass."
God's Ten Commandments are like a ten link chain binding us to God. If we break any one of those Commandments or links, we FAIL...because the bond between us and God is broken, and we are eternally seperated from God! "Unless..."
"Unless we truly repent...we will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven."
Once our bond with God is broken...we can only re-establish our personal relationship with Him through Jesus and His Holy Spirit by sincerely confessing our sins...accepting His gracious divine forgiveness...truly repenting and turning away from our sin and our fellow sinners, lest we be tempted to sin again...(We are not to "dance with the Devil.")...and we must become a true disciple of Jesus the Christ so we may walk, worship and win in this mortal life and throughout all eternity!
Once we accept our free gift of salvation...we are obligated to get to work for Him!
Please kindly take the time to read Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, beginning in Matthew 5, verse 1, of God's Holy Bible...and...please...do take it personally.